The Continuum of Special Education Services at
Garden City Public Schools offers a full continuum of programs and services to eligible students. Eligibility is based on meeting specific criteria for one or more disabilities and a determination of whether or not special education is necessary for the child to benefit from the educational program. Despite the law requiring a student to have a disability label, the label does not determine the individual programs, services or placement for the student.
Garden City Schools believe in providing services in the least restrictive environment (LRE) appropriate for each student. This means that whenever possible the student will attend their neighborhood school and be educated in the general education classroom with his or her peers. Special education services are then provided in instructional areas directly impacted by the disability. Only when necessary to meet a student’s unique educational needs and goals will consideration be given to providing services in other locations. A small number of our students need more intensive, specially designed instructional programs throughout much or all of the school day. These programs are available at designated schools within our district and other schools in Wayne County.
If you have academic or behavior concerns regarding your child:
1. Contact the building principal and ask for a Help Team meeting -
Help Team overview page 6 of Best Practices Manual
2. Link to Wayne County Intermediate School District
3. Link to MDE Positive Behavior Support documents
4. Talk to a Special Education Staff member – by phone or their email address
5. Link to Wayne County Intermediate School District's Early Childhood - http://www.resa.net/specialeducation/spedcompliance/
6. Special Education Process - Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
7. The HELP team, parent, teacher, or administrator may request a special education referral. This begins the Individual Education Planning Team (IEPT) Process.